It’s a bitch to try and maintain your emotional health whenever you’re lonely. Loneliness can easily lead to depression. It’s that short step that you take from one room to another. I’m fighting it. Sometimes I feel like I’m fighting too hard and I need to just feel it. I can understand feeling the loneliness, it’s fleeting. Depression is a hole that it gets harder every time to pull out of the darkness. I’ve left bits and pieces of myself on the edges of that pit whenever I’ve fallen into it. I’ve got numerous scars and wounds from the battle. I’m still here.
I try to take care of myself and constantly watch to make sure I don’t take that fall. Self care is so important to those of us that battle self destructive tendencies. I’ve written before about how people consider it selfish to take care of yourself. It’s not selfish. It’s a “have to” for me. I can’t function as a mother, friend, employee, or any other hat I wear if I don’t put myself first at times.
Thanks to Zoloft, I am able to step back from the edge easier. It’s still there. I feel the loneliness and the edge more clearly today though. I’ve been having to think about what I need to do to take care of myself at the moment so I don’t slip.
- I have to eat better. Keeping my sugar and carb intake down is so important to my mental health. I’m not really sure why but it does play a big difference in keeping myself from having an overwhelming amount of anxiety.
- Sleep. I have to get more sleep. Having fibromyalgia, this is almost impossible at times. I hate taking medication to sleep because I feel so out of it in the morning.
- Mindfullness. I haven’t been practicing it like I should be. I’ve half assed it a little bit but nothing major.
- Avoiding toxic people and drama. I stay at home most of the time anymore. Lately I can’t tolerate even the smallest amount of drama without clenching up and becoming very anxious. I also need to learn to cut my losses with some people and move on.
- Avoiding Social Media. Facebook is a cesspool most of the time. I like it because it has funny stuff on it sometimes and I can keep up with friends that live far away. I detest it because it stirs up so much BS.
- Exercise. I have to start walking and/or lifting weights again. Endorphins are cool.
- I have to realize that I am complete in myself. I don’t need a partner in my life. I’ve been doing pretty okay the last few years. That doesn’t mean I don’t want someone. Oh, how I want someone.
- Because of #7 I have really be discerning about who I spend time with frequently. Marriage #3 mostly happened because of loneliness. I have to remember, “follow your brain; your heart is stupid as shit”.
- I have to take breaks to spend time doing something for myself. Whether it’s a walk or sitting in my garage, watching the wind make the flowers dance, or reading a book.
Life is kinda hard right now. I mean, it’s awesome, but it’s also hard. It’ll get better though. There are times that I much prefer being single. I would say that is 95% of the time. Those 5% days though are a bitch. Will I get past it? Damn right. While my brain may try to self destruct my soul is all about living.